Quote and Credit

Quote and Credit

CLICK TO ORDER OR PREVIEW JIM LINDERMAN BOOKS

Totem Pole Park in Crescent City CA is a bit of a mystery. There is little written about it. This, and a dozen other RPPC images of the place were taken by Frank Patterson, who worked the area with his camera 1920 to the 1950s. His archives are held at Oregon State University Libraries. There is a photo of the apparently non-indigenous artist in this 1941 issue of Popular Mechanics…but unless my eyes fail me they don’t list his name! The piece claims the artist made 2800 pieces with his Boy Scout ax, and that “hundreds of his samples can be seen…along highways of the west coast.” Well, I dunno. I posted another of his works (a gorilla in chains) on a previous blog post. The set of cards don’t reveal anything on the reverse. A few other carvings which make no sense are included. I believe the place is gone. Totem Pole Park formerly I Cresent City, CA. Painted Stump Octopus collection Jim Linderman / Dull Tool Dim Bulb. Other images from various sources.

No comments:

Post a Comment