Quote and Credit

Quote and Credit

CLICK TO ORDER OR PREVIEW JIM LINDERMAN BOOKS

Antique Ivory Soap Carving of Christ c.1930 Folk Art Sculpture

The Ivory soap company formed the National Soap Sculpture Committee in the 1920s. Based on the soap patina, I think this piece dates to that era! Here’s a bit from the Procter and Gamble brochure of 1936: “For young and old, for amateur and professional artists, soap sculpture offers a new and satisfying medium for artistic expression. Thoroughly democratic in spirit, and well within reach of all, carving in soap has become firmly established in America.” They also published a 31 page book on “The Development and Use of Soap Sculpture” selling for a dime. This fellow is 3 inches wide and 4 inches tall, and is certainly a prize-winner in my eyes. Antique Soap Carving of Christ, circa 1930. Collection Jim Linderman / Dull Tool Dim Bulb.

1 comment:

  1. I discovered your ingenious blog today, because I saw the Wonder House on “Amazing Interiors” , which I then googled and came upon your old postcard of that Florida mansion. So life goes with all its rabbit holes. Now your blog fascinates the living doldrums out of me, and I must immediately try soap carving. Thank goddess I hate liquid soap. Cheers and greetings from Germany.

    ReplyDelete