Quote and Credit

Quote and Credit

CLICK TO ORDER OR PREVIEW JIM LINDERMAN BOOKS

A Mean Calf Wean Calf Weaner Mask Farm Primitive

Being a vegetarian, I don't have to worry much about this Hannibal Lecter mask, which is actually a device used to wean a calf from his cow mom.  The idea is (or was…they are apparently made of nylon now) That Bessie junior would approach Bessie senior to feed, and Big Bessie would kick her away.  Seriously.  I thought dogs with those satellite dishes on their heads after surgery looked funny!  Seems pretty extreme to me, but then I'm urban, not rural.

We kicked it around the antique mall for a while, but I knew what it was.  

Calf Weaning Mask  Circa 1900.  Ouch.

3 comments:

  1. a fellow vegetable eaterNovember 11, 2012 at 11:18 PM

    so...this is hooked to the udder? sharp points pierce mom when jr approaches? geezus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The other way around actually...this goes on the calf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In either case, pretty extreme! I grew up on a dairy farm and worked around the dairy industry for forty years and never saw anything like this.

    ReplyDelete